Texas Department of State Health Services
Vaccine Education Online
The DSHS Immunization Branch has developed the Texas Vaccine Education Online site to provide free online courses on topics related to vaccines, including vaccine-preventable diseases, vaccine administration, and strategies to raise coverage levels. Each course is designed for a specific audience, such as health care providers, school personnel, parents, and local health departments. Once you have reviewed the course materials, you will be given an opportunity to take a short assessment. Upon successful completion of the assessment, you will be given an option to print a Certificate of Completion.
The courses have been divided into Curriculum Topics. Each topic contains the courses most relevant to that group of people. To access the individual courses perform the following:
- Access the Vaccine Education Online by going to http://www.vaccineeducationonline.com
- Click on the Curriculum Topic that best suits your interests.
NOTE: You may access as many of the topic areas as desired.
NOTE: For a complete list of available courses and course description, visit the Available Courses resource:
- You will next be presented with an opportunity to log in or create a new account. For the General Public topic, you may use the Login as a guest for anonymous access.
NOTE: For ImmTrac users, please enter your PFS Number in the indicated profile field when creating a new account.
NOTE: For TVFC users, please enter your PIN Number in the indicated profile filed when creating a new account.
Once you have gained access to the Curriculum Topic area, you will be presented with a list of courses and assessments. As you will note, each course is followed by an assessment of the same name.
To review a course, simply click on the course name to the right of the shield. This will open the course in a new window.
NOTE: You must have pop-up blockers turned off for this site. Methods for disabling common pop-up blockers can be found in the Pop-up Blocker resource section of this site: http://www.vaccineeducationonline.org/mod/resource/view.php?id=56
NOTE: For best viewing, your monitor resolution should be set to 1024 by 768 or greater. More information on changing your display areas can be found in the Resolution Requirements resource section of this site:
Upon selecting a course to review, a new window will open with a wait screen. Once the course has loaded, a button titled Start Course will appear.
Once inside the course, you will be presented with an objectives page. To begin the course, click Next button on the navigation bar.
The following navigation elements will be available during the course.
|Prev||Previous Page||, (comma)|
|Next||Next Page||. (period)|
|Chapter Indicator||Displays current page number and total number of pages in the current chapter.|
|Menu||Returns to the objective page.||/|
|Quit||Returns to the course listing.||Control+Shift+E
|Chapters||Chapters appear on the objectives page and can be used to jump directly to that topic|
In general the courses will consist of content pages, learning checks, a feedback form and instructions on accessing the assessment.
As the name implies, content pages contain the course information. Content pages can consist of text, graphics, video or demonstrations.
Text Content Page
Learning checks are interactive pages used to assist you in gauging your understanding of the course materials. Learning checks are not graded.
A learning check will be in the form of a multiple choice question, true / false or a text entry.
Learning Check – Text Entry
At the end of each course, you will be presented with an opportunity to provide feedback. Please take a moment to tell us how we did!
The final page in each course contains assessment instructions. See next section for Assessments.
Once you have completed the course materials, you have the option of taking a short assessment exam. The assessments will consist of multiple choice and true / false questions. Upon successful completion of the assessment, you will be presented with an opportunity to print a Certificate of Completion.
In general the steps for accessing the assessment are as follows:
- Within the course, click the Quit button on the navigation toolbar. This will return you to the course listing.
- Below the course link, there will be a link to an assessment. The assessments will have the same name as the course with “assessment” appended to the end and a checkmark symbol.
- Once selected, you will be presented with a short set of instructions which will include the scoring requirements. To begin the assessment click the Attempt quiz button.
Sample Assessment Instruction Page
- Once in the quiz, you may navigate freely between questions using the Next and Previous buttons. Once you have answered all the questions, click the Submit and Finish button.
NOTE: You may take the assessments as many times as desired.
Sample Question Page
- Upon completing the Assessment, you will be presented with the assessment grade and a link to a printable certificate upon successful completion.
Sample Final Assessment Page
- To print your Certificate of Completion, click the certificate link in the Feedback section. This will take you to the print facility. Click Get your certificate button to view the certificate.
The certificate will be in PDF format and may be printed or saved to your local drive.